NAC launches Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) Initiative
As part of a 2019 Strategic Plan, and in response to rampant racial inequalities, social injustices, and disability discrimination, NAC instituted a staff-led Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) Committee in early 2020. In its first year, NAC’s DEIB Committee had contributed greatly to creating and maintaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace at all levels. The Committee, which consists of representatives from all agency programs, worked in conjunction with NAC’s Board of Directors to create an official DEIB Statement. In addition, five sub-committees were formed to advocate, review, and identify new policies and training resources for NAC staff. As a result, an annual requirement of a minimum of 10 hours of DEIB training for all staff was put into effect; an on-going Social Justice Discussion Series, including special Town Hall meetings, were implemented in response to current events; and several Employee Resource Groups were launched, including Staff of Color, Mentorship Group for the Advancement of Staff of Color, LGBTQIA+ Identifying Staff, Staff with Disabilities, Staff who Identify as Female, and Working Students. The committee continues to implement strategies in all NAC programs to address racial inequities and advance race consciousness within and outside of the NAC community.
NAC’s DEIB sub-committees include:
- Advocacy Committee – Tasked with ensuring staff have a sense of belonging while working at NAC. In collaboration with our HR department, they have been reviewing the process of identity-based conflict resolution.
- Hiring, Compensation and Recruitment Committee – Tasked with reviewing the agency’s current hiring and promotion practice and making recommendations to ensure NAC is an inclusive workplace.
- Training and Resources Committee – Tasked with ensuring staff training is inclusive of the impact of race & social justice issues.
- The Metrics Committee – Tasked with identifying, creating and disseminating surveys to measure NAC’s progress in creating a workforce where everyone is treated fairly. Specific to this goal is special attention to creating a workforce that measures equity, inclusion, and a sense of belonging among underrepresented groups within NAC.
- Holiday and Awareness Committee – Tasked with communicating with NAC staff to bring awareness to culturally diverse holidays and nationally recognized months and days. The subcommittee successfully advocated for the agency to be closed in honor of Juneteenth prior to it becoming a federal holiday, as well as have the agency officially recognize/change Columbus Day to Indigenous People’s Day.