Empowering and supporting LGBTQIA+ youth and their families with strategies to increase affirmation and reduce family conflict around sexual orientation, gender identity or expression
What is the Safe Haven Program?
NAC’s Safe Haven Program serves LGBTQIA+ identifying youth both at NAC and within the community as well as supporting families who are struggling with their youth’s LGBTQIA+ identity.
Our clinicians are trained in the LGBTQ Institute for Family Therapy (LIFT) Certification Program to better assist families in being more affirming of their LGBTQIA+ youth. LGBTQIA+ youth who are affirmed by their families have increased rates of success and decreased risk for negative outcomes.
What Services Do We Offer?
We offer a comprehensive array of services and supports to serve LGBTQIA+ identifying youth and their families.
- In-Home, In-Agency or telehealth individual and/or Family therapy thru our Mental Health Clinic or Children and Family Treatment and Support Services (CFTSS) program
- Therapeutic Support Groups for LGBTQIA+ youth
- Support Groups for Parents/Caregivers of LGBTQIA+ youth
- Training and Education for Parents/Caregivers of LGBTQIA+ Youth
- Referrals to external LGBTQIA+ services
- Referrals to NAC programs including our Medical and Mental Health Clinic, Post Adoption services, Kinship Caregiver program, Peter Haje Center for Autism, and Youth Strong
Who is Eligible to Participate in the Safe Haven Program?
LGBTQIA+ identifying youth at NAC and within the community are eligible to participate in the Safe Haven program, as well families who are struggling with their youth’s LGBTQIA+ identity. Safe Haven serves Medicaid eligible youth.
Our Strategies to Effectively Serve LGBTQIA+ Youth:
Assess for physical and emotional safety and provide in-home, in-agency or virtual interventions to maintain family connections and increase affirmation.
All families and children will have access to NAC’s comprehensive array of services, including medical and behavioral health services through NAC’s Comprehensive Healthcare Center in Manhattan or through our Mobile Medical Clinic.
Safe Haven provides an array of services by trained professionals. Our clients have access to LMSW/LCSWs, LMHCs, LMHCs, Psychiatrists/Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners and Psychologists, all of whom have extensive training in serving the LGBTQIA+ population.
Additional Supports Available:
Providing ongoing, comprehensive support remains a priority at NAC. Participants in the Safe Haven Program are also eligible for the following programs:
- Children and Family Treatment and Support Services (CFTSS)
- Mental Health Clinic
- Medical Clinic
- Autism Center
- Educational Advocacy & Tutoring
- College Bound Program
- Youth Development & Mentoring Programs
- Recreational Services
- Post Adoption Case Management Services
- Champions for Children’s Health (Care Management for Children)
- Food Bank