The Family Permanency Center
Providing a supportive community to adoptive and guardianship families.
The Family Permanency Center
What is The Family Permanency Center?
The NAC Family Permanency Center offers families formed through adoption or guardianship, a place where they can find the support, advocacy, information, and a range of professional health and social services needed to help them create or maintain a successful and permanent home.
Our goals are to:
- prevent post-adoptive and post-guardianship dissolutions/disruptions
- provide assistance to families so that children may be cared for in their own homes with their
- adoptive parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
- strengthen post-adoptive and post-guardianship families
What Services Do We Offer?
Our skilled and bilingual Social Workers all have master level degrees and trained to work with post-adoption, post-guardianship families and youth. We provide individualized support, scaled to the unique needs of each family. Our Social Workers engage with the family to provide concrete services and support, help de-escalate stressful situations, and develop a comprehensive action/safety plan to address a range of ongoing challenging issues.
Our range of services include:
- Case management and in-home support
- Comprehensive psychosocial, family-centered needs assessment, and trauma assessment screening
- Information and advocacy
- Crisis intervention
- Advocacy and Referrals
- Individual and Family Counseling through our Family Mental Health Clinic
- Psychoeducation on kinship/adoption related issues
- Lifebook Work: create an adoption storybook that serves as a keepsake that illustrates a child’s journey to his or her adoptive home. It is used as a source of information as well as a way to open up the discussion of adoption with a child.
- Parent workshops, trainings and monthly support groups
- Homelessness Prevention
- Food Pantry
- Recreational Program
- Monthly art therapy self-care group partnered with Art Therapy Outreach Center
- Annual recreational and cultural group activities for families and youth
Who is eligible to participate in The Family Permanency Center?
- Adoptive Families who have finalized the adoption of their child. This includes private placement adoptions and international adoptions.
- Guardianship Families including Kinship caregivers who have legal guardianship of the child and an approved KinGAP agreement or families with legal guardianship without a KinGAP agreement.
Our program is completely voluntary and services are provided to the whole household. We provide services in English and Spanish in all 5 boroughs. Proof of legal documentation is required to enroll (adoption decree/adoption certificate or Letter of Guardianship, Court Order Appointing Guardianship, or Proof of Legal Guardianship).
Referrals are accepted.
Why Choose The Family Permanency Center at NAC?
We are Strength-Based: we believe in building on a families’ strengths and helping them address challenges to caring for their children in a positive and supportive way.
We Offer 360 Degrees of Support: at NAC there is always a team of skilled and experienced social workers, nurses, doctors, therapists and education specialists ready to provide the right level of support for each family.
We have a Continuum of Care: No matter where a family is in their journey, we have services ready to meet any challenge or triumph. From early intervention to college bound, we want to see children and families thrive.
Additional supports available
Providing ongoing, comprehensive support for the entire family remains a priority at NAC.
Families enrolled in the Family Permanency Center are also eligible for the following programs:
- Champions for Children’s Health (Care Management for Children)
- Mental Health Clinic
- Peter Haje Center for Autism
- Children and Family Treatment and Support Services (CFTSS)
- Educational Advocacy & Tutoring
- Recreational Services
- Youth Strong & P.E.E.R Project Youth Development Groups
- Food Bank